Can You Imagine What Hunger Feels Like?

FOLLOW THIS BLOG BY EMAIL by entering your address in the "Follow by Email" text box below on the right.

Can you eat on just $4.20 a day?From Jan. 26-Feb. 1, 2014, members, staff and clergy of Congregation Shaare Emeth will take the SNAP Challenge and try to live on the average food budget of a Missouri SNAP recipient – just $29.25 per week or less than $1.40 per meal. SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps). Why are we doing this? To raise awareness about the struggles faced by millions of food-insecure households, to experience first-hand how difficult it is to afford nutritious foods, and to renew our commitment to do what we can to put an end to hunger.

Please join us by attending one of our hunger events, following our blog as we document our experiences (subscribe by email in the box on the right, subscribe to the blog feed, or check back daily), joining as SNAP Challenge participant and blog author, or participating in an alternate way. Let's all learn a little more about what it's like to live solely on food stamps.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Day Five

I was unable to log onto the blog last night - and so I did not post on our 5th day of the SNAP Challenge.  I must say, yesterday was not all that exciting.  Macey did comment that he will be happy not to see pea soup or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a long, long time.

I had a little time and pulled together all of our receipt from the past week.  We were limiting ourselves to a budget of $120 for the week (though, as a family of five, I believe that we would qualify for a bit more), because we weren't sure how Lila and Eli (who are more discriminate eaters) would fare.  I must say, all of the children have been great and have been active and dedicated participants - even when it's been hard.  Through Thursday, we had spent a total of $102.20.  I told the kids we had $17.80 to spend at the store for Shabbat dinner, and asked if there was anything special they wanted me to get.  Macey asked for salmon; Eli asked for chicken nuggest; and Lila wanted to make sure we had challah.  We were also very low on fruit so I know I needed to spend a bit of money there.  I told them I would see what I could do.

Though I couldn't get on the blog to type anything last night, I did read the posting by the Eisen's.  I really resonated with almost everything they expressed.  Thanks for sharing your experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment