Can You Imagine What Hunger Feels Like?

FOLLOW THIS BLOG BY EMAIL by entering your address in the "Follow by Email" text box below on the right.

Can you eat on just $4.20 a day?From Jan. 26-Feb. 1, 2014, members, staff and clergy of Congregation Shaare Emeth will take the SNAP Challenge and try to live on the average food budget of a Missouri SNAP recipient – just $29.25 per week or less than $1.40 per meal. SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps). Why are we doing this? To raise awareness about the struggles faced by millions of food-insecure households, to experience first-hand how difficult it is to afford nutritious foods, and to renew our commitment to do what we can to put an end to hunger.

Please join us by attending one of our hunger events, following our blog as we document our experiences (subscribe by email in the box on the right, subscribe to the blog feed, or check back daily), joining as SNAP Challenge participant and blog author, or participating in an alternate way. Let's all learn a little more about what it's like to live solely on food stamps.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day Three

Before going to work this morning I needed to pack both my lunch and dinner.  As I was removing the large bowl of split pea soup that I made yesterday from the refrigerator, I lost my balance and started to slip.  Half of the soup spilled on the floor. I had made it hoping that I and my family would be able to eat it for at least 2-3 lunches or dinners for the next few days, but now half of it was gone.  Accidents happen, of course.  But in buying a few things here and there, we only have $24 left in our food budget for the week.  I was so sad  and disappointed in myself.  And of course, I began to think about what families who live on very tight budgets must worry about all the time.  "I'm OK for now ... as long as nothing goes wrong ... as long as nothing unexpected happens."  

Our family's schedule for today and tomorrow is packed.  I'm not sure when I will be able to get to the store.  And I'm not sure what I will buy when I get there.  I'm feeling a little defeated right now ... and hoping that tomorrow is a better day.

On the upside - the soup that was left was quite good.  A few people have asked me for the recipe. 
I'll post it below.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night for Food Stamped.  Bring-your-own-dinner begins at 6:30.  The movie will start at 7.
Laila tov!
Andrea


Split Pea Soup for the Slow Cooker
1 lb. dried split peas
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic (I probably used a full teaspoon, at least)
7 cups hot water
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Remove bay leaves.  If you like a smoother consistency, puree in a blender.
Serves 8 ... for just under $3!


1 comment:

  1. I was on food stamps in high school, and though I wasn't in college (I'm still paying for most of my college meals in the form of student loans) I was still on a food stamp budget.

    Spilling so many meals is the sort of thing that would have made me burst into tears. On particularly sensitive days it would STILL make me burst into tears--five years after leaving college--because the stress of such restrictive budgets doesn't leave you quickly.

    ReplyDelete