Can You Imagine What Hunger Feels Like?

FOLLOW THIS BLOG BY EMAIL by entering your address in the "Follow by Email" text box below on the right.

Can you eat on just $4.20 a day?From Jan. 26-Feb. 1, 2014, members, staff and clergy of Congregation Shaare Emeth will take the SNAP Challenge and try to live on the average food budget of a Missouri SNAP recipient – just $29.25 per week or less than $1.40 per meal. SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps). Why are we doing this? To raise awareness about the struggles faced by millions of food-insecure households, to experience first-hand how difficult it is to afford nutritious foods, and to renew our commitment to do what we can to put an end to hunger.

Please join us by attending one of our hunger events, following our blog as we document our experiences (subscribe by email in the box on the right, subscribe to the blog feed, or check back daily), joining as SNAP Challenge participant and blog author, or participating in an alternate way. Let's all learn a little more about what it's like to live solely on food stamps.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Food is Always on Our Mind

I went to bed last night thinking "I got this!"  Breakfast was ready to be warmed up.  Garbanzo beans and black beans were soaking.  Lunches were ready.
From past experiences, I remembered that, if you are going to limit your food intake, you better prepare the next meal right after you ate a satisfying one.  It makes it easier to handle the food without tasting it all the time.
Well, my alarm did not go off at 5!  I woke up at 6.  I labored on the stove to warm up the oatmeal, started cooking the garbanzo beans (put some 2 cups of uncooked ones in the fridge to make falafel later) and black beans.  I woke up the kids, gave them their oatmeal, reminded them how cold it was (so they would layer up), kissed my husband, and run to the shower! I left the house with a sink full of dishes and a kitchen in disarray. 
Morning is our special time (my husband and I).  We normally would drink our coffee together talking about the day or the week, chatting about the kids, and slowly waking up.  Even if I had woken up on time today, I had to make sure I had started tonight's meal.  I would not have had time to sit.  The kitchen might have been cleaned before I left.  That's about it.
I wonder how this would affect us, as a couple, in the long run.  How it would affect my kids.
I also find myself being extremely grateful for many things I take for granted every day: the luxury of driving to different stores to make the best of our budget, and for having a fully loaded, working kitchen with a working stove, a "Magic Bullet", a rice cooker, and a "Cuisinart" robot, and plenty of pots and pans! 
Our dinner was vegetable soup, and falafel,  We also had hummus.
My son announced at dinner that he actually likes the food we are eating!
I replied that since the morning, much of my thinking energy went toward organizing and cooking the next meal.  I am glad he enjoys it.
He also shared that it was not funny to him today when one of his friend took his pretzels during lunch and some of them fell on the ground.  Food is not something to be played with any more!
My daughter gave her boyfriend one of her  4 falafels.  He loves them!  Though I insisted he should have some soup with us, he refused and said he had his own food and was going to eat home later.  As I was persisting my son laughed and exclaimed "I can't live with him feeling guilty for eating our food!"
My daughter shared that she really does not like the oatmeal in the morning but she knows she needs it. We will try adding cinnamon for taste tomorrow.
Another thing I had never witness before:  my husband sorting lentils!  We are eating them in two days.
There were many reasons and motivations for us to do this challenge.  I might get into those in a future blog.  Right now, I am going to bed knowing that the oatmeal is ready to be warmed up, that lunches are ready and that tomorrow night we will eat a stir fried rise with tofu, and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment