Can You Imagine What Hunger Feels Like?

FOLLOW THIS BLOG BY EMAIL by entering your address in the "Follow by Email" text box below on the right.

Can you eat on just $4.20 a day?From Jan. 26-Feb. 1, 2014, members, staff and clergy of Congregation Shaare Emeth will take the SNAP Challenge and try to live on the average food budget of a Missouri SNAP recipient – just $29.25 per week or less than $1.40 per meal. SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps). Why are we doing this? To raise awareness about the struggles faced by millions of food-insecure households, to experience first-hand how difficult it is to afford nutritious foods, and to renew our commitment to do what we can to put an end to hunger.

Please join us by attending one of our hunger events, following our blog as we document our experiences (subscribe by email in the box on the right, subscribe to the blog feed, or check back daily), joining as SNAP Challenge participant and blog author, or participating in an alternate way. Let's all learn a little more about what it's like to live solely on food stamps.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Houser-ific SNAP start.

Houser-ific SNAP start.
Sorry for the delay:
Saturday: Went shopping at Aldi with plan in hand. Best shopping experience ever with Houser, no fighting over high priced food. 

Sunday: An apple drops on the floor when I was unloading the bag into a bowl. I though I better use that one quickly. Lilly asked what was for breakfast. I told her eggs, toast and apples. She said she'd skip the apples. 

Monday: I realized I convenience shop. I have too much in my fridge and pantry that I don't use or need. This may be my biggest lesson.

Tuesday:  We are still going strong and who knew you can make homemade enchilada sauce.  Elyssa asked for it again and Lilly ate it sans black beans.  GO PROTEIN!

I know the food we are eating is not the best quality, but I am more concerned than usual as to what the kids are putting in their mouths. I also see food having more value than I once did.

We will see how the week goes. Who will be the grumpiest when we are down to oatmeal and sandwich bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment